Building of Peace and Reconciliation
Two projects were opened on October 30, 1995 in Dresden under the patronage of both presidents Václav Havel, President of the Czech Republic, and Roman Herzog, President of the Federal Republic of Germany, with the aim to be a step towards furthering peace and good relations between neighbours and as a demonstration of human understanding. These projects were the establishment of regular meetings between Czech and German youth (the first one took place in Polika in September 1996) and the construction of a new building for The Research Library of Liberec on the site where one of the largest synagogues of Central Europe once stood. This synagogue was burnt and completely destroyed by the Nazis during „Kristallnacht“ (Crystal Night) November 9 - 10, 1938.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.